Applying for Compensation for Being the Victim of Medical Malpractice


We go to the doctors in order to cure ourselves of any illnesses or diseases that we suffer. We should come back from the doctor’s feeling better, both mentally and physically. However, in some cases, due to medical negligence or due to misdiagnosis, many people often suffer worse and in some cases this can even lead to death.

In no cases should you have to suffer for someone else’s negligence. Often due to medical negligence, the expenses are very high and the effects are not only financial, but can be physical and emotional. These experiences can be extremely traumatic and you have a right to lodge a complaint.

If you don’t feel confident going about applying for a claim on your own, you can increase your chances of winning the case by taking the solicitor’s services – to find one in the UK go visit Solicitors Guru website. You should make sure that the solicitor has years of experience (at least five) and also a good reputation before choosing him. If you are worried about the costs of hiring n advocate, you can try to select a deal when you don’t need to pay them if you do not win your case – there are more details about that in no win no fee regulations article.

Hiring a solicitor is always a good option, as they have worked with such claims before and know what needs to be done to achieve success.

In which cases are you eligible for the claim?

To file a claim, you need to prove that:

1)      There was a case of medical negligence or medical malpractice.

2)      The injury or losses you suffered were a direct result of that negligence or malpractice.

If you have evidence that the above points are true, then you can hire a solicitor and apply for a claim within three years from the date on which the injury in question occurred.

You can apply for physical injuries — whether they are in the neck, brain, chest, arms, shoulders, legs or ankles. You can apply for financial losses as well.

For example, if you were supposed to join a new job with higher pay before the injury and you are now unable to do so, you can apply for the amount that you would get at your new job provided you can prove that you were already hired.

You can also sue for your emotional losses such as for peace of mind, although of course, it is difficult to put an exact price on the extreme trauma endured by you and your loved ones.

Can you apply for someone else’s behalf?

If your child has suffered injuries due to medical negligence, you can apply for a claim on your child’s behalf. If your loved one has died as a result of such faults, you can apply for a claim on their behalf. You can also claim for the cost of funeral services in these cases.

If such an incident has occurred due to medical negligence, and you are not at fault, you have a right to demand a compensation.